Cauliflower Au Gratin
Cheesy, creamy, and baked to perfection, this classic side dish is the perfect comfort food and a wonderful addition to complete any cozy, holiday meal!
Total cook time
- 2- 20 ounce bags Signature SELECT™ Frozen Cauliflower, thawed and drained
- 6 tablespoons Lucerne® Unsalted Butter, divided
- 1/2 cup Primo Taglio® Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 1/2 cup O Organics® Stoneground Crackers, finely crumbled
- 4 tablespoons Signature SELECT™ all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups Lucerne® Milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup grated Lucerne® Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in the microwave and combine with parmesan and crumbled crackers until well-incorporated. Set aside.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat. Whisk to combine flour with butter and cook for 1 minute.
While continuing to whisk, slowly add milk. Adjust head to medium-high and bring to a simmer, while still whisking. Adjust heat back to medium and let simmer an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove pan from the heat then add a 1/2 cup each of sharp cheddar and fontina cheese, stirring until smooth. Add salt and pepper.
Cover bottom of a baking dish with a small layer of cheese sauce. Add in the cauliflower then top with additional sauce and crumb topping. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until cheese is bubbly, and crackers have browned.
Step 5 :: Helpful Hints
For a spicier version, substitute cayenne pepper for the ground black pepper. The broiler may be used the last few minutes of baking to brown the crumb topping more evenly.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.