A prime rib is not just delicious, but it's also really simple. This is my mom's recipe and for me it’s the quintessential roast. A handful of ingredients and a couple steps and you're there. A good instant read thermometer will help you nail the doneness. And don't skip the mustard or anchovy paste – it won’t taste like mustard or anchovies, but it will taste delicious.
- One 4-5 pound prime rib, preferably bone in
- Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons anchovy paste
- Take the roast out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking. Pat dry with paper towel and let sit.
- Preheat oven to 450
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Combine garlic, mustard and anchovy paste - mix well to combine and rub over the entire roast well.
- Put the roast into the oven for 20 minutes, then turn down heat to 325 degrees.
- Cook approx. 12-15 minutes per pound until meat reaches your desired temperature
- For medium rare, look for a thermometer to read 125 degrees in the center of the roast - 130 for medium.
- Once you hit your temp, take roast out of the oven, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes before carving - it will rise an additional 5 degrees while it rests.